The Fountain Creek Watershed Flood Control and Greenway District was created under SB09-141, established under Title 32 of the CRS. The boundaries, governance, and powers and duties of the district are established through this legislation.
The district consists of the counties of El Paso and Pueblo and is governed by a Board of Directors consisting of a representative from the cities of Colorado Springs, Fountain, and Pueblo; El Paso and Pueblo counties; small municipalities in El Paso County; the Lower Arkansas Valley Water Conservancy District; and the FCW Citizens Advisory Group. A Technical Advisory Committee and Citizens Advisory Group provide input to the Board.
The district is authorized to manage, administer, and fund the capital improvements necessary in the Fountain Creek Watershed to:
- mitigate flooding, erosion and sedimentation
- address water quality issues
- improve drainage
- protect open space
- and develop public recreational opportunities including open space
2020 Board of Directors
- Bill Banks as Executive Director
- Larry Atencio, City of Pueblo
- Richard Skorman, City of Colorado Springs
- Irene Kornelly, CAG Representative
- Greg Lauer, City of Fountain
- Terry Hart, Pueblo County
- Longinos Gonzalez, El Paso County
- Leroy Mauch, Lower Arkansas Valley Conservancy District
- Nancy Fortuin, Small Municipalities
There are many ways to stay up to date on District happenings. All of the meetings are open to the public and currently in virtual Zoom format. A calendar of events can be found here http://www.fountain-crk.org/events-2-2/. Citizens are encouraged to learn more and become Watershed Warriors, see the District's Get Involved http://www.fountain-crk.org/events-2-2/ page for more information.